Food Aficionado

Beantown, Massachusetts, United States
Food is just wonderful! Sharing with others is even better!

Monday, November 12, 2007

Extra Virgin Restaurant-West Village (NYC)

Extra Virgin
259 West 4th Street, New York, NY 10014 (212) 691-9359
Extravirgin.com

Located in the West Village, my friends and I went to Extra Virgin. They were telling me the food is excellent and consistent and their fish dishes are excellent. We are greeted and seated quickly for 6:30 on a Saturday night. It is a cute place with the typical tightly packed tables (maximizing all the space) you first enter at the bar area. We are seated in the dining area on the right side. We do not get our bread by our server is very nice. When I order my drink, she is fearful there is not available so I have a back up drink. I get the blood orange margarita $10 (blood orange juice, tequila and triple sec) came in a salt rimmed tall glass with a lime wedge. It was nice and strong but not in the typical margarita glass. We were all a bit ravenous and requested some bread. We never got it. We ordered our meal and I got the Pan Roasted Monkfish (Rock shrimp, lobster chowder, and sautéed spinach) $21. I was told by Ian that this dish was “meaty.”

I got two beautifully pan roasted pieces of monkfish with the skin on, and the lobster chowder was flavorful and lovely with the bits of great rock shrimp. I really wanted some bread to sop up the sauce, but alas I never came. The sautéed spinach was great and cooked with garlic. Everything tasted fresh and delicious! I could taste the flavors distinctly and thoroughly enjoyed my meal.

With the dessert menu, I was the only one to get a dessert and the rose water crème brulee with almond biscotti caught my eye for $7. I got a healthy portion of crème brulee with a lovely sugar burnt crust and the creamy crème brulee was lovely. The almond biscotti was not that remarkable.

Service 8 (points taken off for lack of bread and asking for it to not even get it)
Food 9
Atmosphere 8

Total 8.5 forks out of 10 forks

Extra Virgin pics are here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=20404&l=3c8ad&id=575810425

No comments:

Labels

Postings History

Food Glorious Food

  • Book-Fierce Foods
  • Book-Kitchen Confidential
  • Drama-Dae Jang Geum (KR)
  • Magazine-Cooking Light
  • Magazine-Food and Wine
  • Magazine-Gourmet
  • Movie-Eat Drink Man Woman (TW)
  • Movie-Like Water For Chocolate (MX)
  • Movie-Magic Kitchen (HK)
  • TV Station-Food Network
  • TV-Iron Chef (JP)
  • TV-Top Chef (US-Bravo)

Eating establishments visited-diners, restaurants, chains etc

  • Cha Fahn
  • Teaism (DC)
  • Brother (SF)
  • Fatburger (Vegas)
  • In'N'Out (CA, Vegas)
  • Matsuhisa (LA)
  • Duk Boa
  • Rod Dee
  • Victorias Seafood
  • Best Little Restaurant
  • Wagamamas (UK, Boston)
  • Soul Fire
  • Color
  • Yasu
  • Helmand
  • May's Cafe
  • Zaftigs
  • Uni
  • Toro
  • Dante
  • Anh Hong
  • Pasion (Philly)
  • Morimoto (Philly)
  • Momofuku (NYC)
  • Penang
  • Dang Khanh
  • Chau Chow City
  • China Pearl
  • South Street Diner
  • The Family Restaurant
  • Zen 320
  • Minado
  • Oishii
  • Fugakyu
  • Pomodoro